Monday, April 29, 2013

Foot Issues

Probably the biggest concern for anyone walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela is foot issues. Blisters - tired achy feet - tight shoes - and other issues that pop up out of no where.  So I thought I had that all under control until this past weekend. I participated in the March of Dimes March for Babies - a simple 3.1 mile walk. It was slow going with thousands of people walking - pushing baby strollers - long lines at the rest stops. It was not until near the end that I started experiencing a funny sensation in the balls of my feet. Upon investigation - I discovered some serious issues that might be the cause of my problem. Rather than second guess any doctors or read too much into what happened - I will wait until tomorrow morning at which time I will get a real diagnosis.  At this point I am praying it is something simple that I can do to correct this issue. It is still about four months before we leave for Spain and after spending all this time preparing - now is not the time for any major issues.


Foot health is so important - I can only encourage others who are also preparing or thinking about preparing for an adventure like the Camino - to pay attention to their feet - to be sure you get the correct footwear - and to take the time to test and break them in before leaving for locations far distant. 

4/30/13 Follow up - saw the doctor today and good news no major problem. Seems that the fat pad under the ball of my feet tends to slip forward and cause the weird feeling. All I need to do is add a metatarsal pad to my insoles and that should correct this issue. Keep the fat where it belongs and happy feet!

5/6/13 Follow up - was able to get out for a 4K walk today - the bunching feeling did not happen - looks like the pad solved that foot issue.- now to continue with even longer walks. Camino here we come!

Buen Camino
Dale & Arlene 

No comments:

Post a Comment